Oral health is a crucial part of your overall health, and it’s important to see your dentist in Douglasville at least every six months to maintain a healthy mouth and healthy body. However, we understand that there are some things that can keep a patient from seeing us as often as they should. If it’s been a couple of months, years, or even decades since you’ve seen your dentist, you’re not alone, and we’re here to help.
What to Expect
Your visit to a dentist for a long time may be intimidating, but the best thing you can do is prepare yourself for what to expect.
- Exam – Every patient that visits us will receive a comprehensive oral exam. This means that we will take a gentle look inside your mouth to look for any signs of decay, gum disease, or other problems.
- X-rays – No matter how long it’s been since a patient has seen us, we will take x-rays so we can get a closer look at what’s happening beneath the surface of what’s visible to the naked eye.
- Review of Oral Health – During your exam, we encourage you to review your oral health with your dentist in Douglasville. If you have concerns, pain, are grinding your teeth, or want to talk about enhancing your smile through cosmetic dentistry, now is the time to share that information.
- Review of Overall Health – You will need to complete a health history form prior to your visit. Make sure to be honest about any medications you’re taking or health problems you have. Believe it or not, a lot of health problems can impact your oral health, so it’s important for your dentist to know this information.
How To Prepare for Your Appointment
Knowing what to expect at your appointment is important, but it’s also important to prepare yourself for the visit. Try to schedule your appointment for a time that’s convenient for you and during a day when you have limited chances for other stressors. Also, it’s not uncommon for patients who haven’t visited in a while to need more treatment, such as a few fillings. Understanding this before you’re in the dental chair can help keep you relaxed during your exam. If you have dental anxiety, it’s nothing to be ashamed of. Make sure you mention this during scheduling and during your appointment. Also, take the following steps to help reduce anxiety:
- Avoid caffeine prior to your appointment
- Bring your phone and headphones and ask if you can listen to music during your appointment
- Take deep, slow breaths to remain relaxed
- Never hesitate to use hand signals to let your dental team know you need a break
There are a number of reasons why patients put off visiting their dentist in Douglasville. Sometimes it’s due to fear, or maybe life is just too busy and you forget. No matter what your reason is, we promise to care for you in a kind and understanding environment without judgment. Schedule an appointment with us today!