If you’re missing some or all of your teeth, you may have selected to replace them with a denture. While dentures may seem like a simple solution to replace missing teeth, there’s actually a detailed maintenance routine necessary to keep your dentures fitting well and to keep your mouth healthy.
Dentures Deserve Care, Too!
At my Douglasville dental office, we’re here to educate our patients on oral health and provide tips on how to keep mouths healthy. When it comes to our denture wearers, it’s no different. Even though dentures are not natural teeth, is doesn’t mean they don’t require just as much care. Proper denture care is crucial to maintaining the life of the appliance and to sustain oral health.
Often times if dentures aren’t cared for properly, plaque builds up and creates some serious concerns. When left alone, the plaque can cause additional tooth loss, bad breath, and even gum disease.
How to Properly Care for Dentures
- Handle with Care. Dentures are an investment in your oral health. They’re also pretty fragile, so handle them as carefully as possible to reduce risk of damage or needing repairs.
- Rinse Well. After every meal, rinse your dentures with water to remove any loose food particles. If left there, the particles can lead to bad breath or gum disease.
- Brush ‘Em. Brush your dentures daily for the best care possible. Select a soft-bristled brush or a denture-specific brush to decrease the chance of damage. Also, make sure to use a denture-safe cleanser.
- Let Them Soak. Dentures need to remain moist and hydrated. Whenever your dentures aren’t in your mouth they should be soaking in water or a solution recommended by your doctor.
- Visit Often. Maintain regular visits with your dentist in Douglasville to ensure there are no potential problems and your dentures are fitting and functioning properly.
If you already have dentures and want to make sure they’re in the best shape possible, or if you think dentures may be a good fit for you, give my dental office in Douglasville a call. We’re here to provide you the best solution for your missing teeth and will develop a personalized treatment just for you.
Serving patients from Douglasville, Lithia Springs, and Villa Rica.
We’re always talking to our patients about the importance of a proper oral hygiene routine of brushing twice a day, flossing once a day, and visiting my dental office in Douglasville regularly. But did you know these guidelines can do more than just ensure a healthy mouth? They can also provide insight to other whole-body problems.
The Mouth/Body Connection
Many systemic diseases (whole-body diseases) have oral manifestations and often first show signs in the mouth. Some of these overall health problems are incredibly serious, such as:
- Heart disease
- Pancreatic cancer
Notice Any of These Signs?
If you see any of these symptoms, it’s important to call your Douglasville dentist as soon as possible. Early detection is key for the most successful treatment, so don’t wait. Serious signs include:
- Swollen, red, or bleeding gums
- Gums that have pulled away from teeth
- Chronic bad breath
Steps to Better Health
In addition to a proper, at-home hygiene routine and regular dental visits, there are several ways you can help protect your smile against dangerous bacteria, and your body against serious disease.
- Water, water, water. When it comes to choosing your beverage of choice, select water whenever possible. It helps rinse away bacteria and acid in the mouth and hydrates your body.
- Say no to tobacco. Besides the effects smoking or chewing tobacco can have on your smile, using any form of tobacco can lead to overall health complications.
- Practice proper nutrition. Eating well-balanced meals is important for proper body function as well as optimal oral health. Avoid snacking throughout the day, especially sticky, sugary foods.
Your dentist could be the first line of defense against many serious diseases. If you’re experiencing any of the signs above, or if you haven’t seen a dentist in awhile, give my Douglasville dental office a call. We’ll perform a thorough exam, talk with you about any potential problems we find, and stand with you through your individualized treatment plan. Your health is the most important thing to us, and we’ll help any way we can.
Welcoming patients from Douglasville, Lithia Springs, and Villa Rica.